Sunday

Big Decision

This is not the first time, that I thought about consciously quitting all things visual arts and crafts at least for a while.

Actually, during the last couple of years, I haven't done much in that direction. And even when I did it, mostly, felt like pushing a huge stone up a hill just to see it roll back again. There was no joy, no energy, no flow in it.

The only motivation was the thought, that I "should" do it because I can due to my talents and skills. The thing is, I have a s***load of them. Except for one: making money with it.

After I got that wonderful transcription job I was over the moon. There is no deadline and the amount is huge, and I'm eager to do it and to learn from it on the way. But, somehow, I could never find more time nor energy to do it for much more than one hour a day.

Although I wasn't doing any arts or crafts either. That made me pretty frustrated. I even asked GP Walsh, if he had an explanation, what this could be about.

He wrote in the answer:
"No explanation, Just let it unfold. Often times there are things that interfere with our growth. Resistance takes many many forms. Don't be concerned. Just allow it to be there and stay aware."

And so I did, but the overall feeling was not pleasant at all. And it all circled around that thought, that I should use all my talents to support my family, although arts, crafts, or even any of my businesses have never been capable of doing that on a serious scale and for longer time. Believe it or not, it has always been only at the very beginning of a new thing I started, when it actually worked.

So, today, I deleted my art page and my crafts page on Facebook, my accounts at spoonflower.com, society6.com and redbubble.com, left most art/crafts related groups there and decided to stop watching/reading/listening to any materials about arts, crafts and business building.

All webinar notes on those themes will go to a recycle bin as well. I'm still leaving my destash shop on Etsy open until the last listings expire as well as my jewelry and accessories in a shop in the town. 

I have still to decide what I do with the bead weaving classes I just started to teach. Might still continue doing that for a while. But all the arts/crafts tools and supplies I don't need for that will be put away.

Getting rid of them permanently isn't an option right now, because my son is in art school and my daughter is learning to become a dressing style consultant, so they might need them at some point. Besides, I never said I would never go back to visual art/crafts, right?

I'm still reluctant of giving up photography and the last art related group on Facebook for the time being as well. But feeling deep in my gut that I must.

For now, I'm just following my curiosity, as Elizabeth Gilbert suggested.

And feeling light like a feather again. :)

Update: Left the photography and the last group as well. :)

16 comments:

Rita Herrmann said...

Oh, how I feel the words of your post. I understand this feeling, having struggled with it myself, and I applaud this brave step you are taking. Sending you much hope and happiness for the future, wherever it leads.

Rita Herrmann
Arkansas, USA
(from the 100 Artworks Challenge group)

RitaJC said...

Thankk you so much, Rita!
The best of luck for you as well!

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

May your journey blessed, Rita!

Jann Parkes said...

Hi Rita,
All the very best to you on your new direction in life.
Thank you for the many hours you have put into creating all of the art and craft facebook and website pages over the time I have known you on Facebook.
I have really enjoyed your posts and 'chatting' to you via Facebook posts and messages.
We will miss you and your heart felt messages ..... pursue your next life adventure with the same wonderful spirit we know you have in abundance.
Take a chance and see where this all leads to.
Happy days and love to you
Jann Parkes xxx

RitaJC said...

Thank you so much, Jann!
I'm not leaving Facebook in general, so the chat most definitely can continue. :)

Monica said...

Sounds as if there were too many irons in the fire. Hope you find a neew path.

RitaJC said...

Thanks, Monica!
I'm sure I'm back on it again. :)

Kim Switzer said...

Rita, congratulations! This is such a huge step, but sometimes when your arts and crafts projects are feeling like a chore I think stepping away is a great idea. I did it at the end of 2013 with my writing which has always been my lifelong love. It was feeling like no fun and just another thing on my to do list. It took about 9 months, and then suddenly I was filled with story ideas and wanted to write again.

I *would* urge you to just store most of your supplies away, out of sight but available at some time if and when the crafty urge hits you again. I think those urges go in cycles, and it's no fun to suddenly want to do a project and realize you have to re-buy all of your supplies to do it.

Best of luck!

Gina said...

although the weather may suggest otherwise...it is Spring...time to clean out the cobwebs that are tying you down and emerge fresh and new...sprouting good things :D XXX

RitaJC said...

Thanks for the support, Kim & Gina!

Crazy Art Girl said...

Hi. We don't know each other but I know what it feels like to have that feeling leave you. I lost all motivation to much of anything except take care of family stuff and my teaching career for a couple years. I had no desire to do art at all. I let everything else go. Coincided with menopause. One doctor thought I needed antidepressants instead of addressing the menopausal symptoms. I am back on track now with my health. I only do art when I feel like it. I still doing feel as passionate about it as I did before. Maybe I will again someday but now I'm happy just doing it when I feel like it.

RitaJC said...

Thanks, Crazy Art Girl, for sharing your experience.

Cazamataz said...

Rita I send you love in whatever you choose.... feeling 'as light as a feather' must be just what is needed to unfold this next chapter in life xxxx

RitaJC said...

Thanks for the support, Carol!

Coleen said...

The best to you, Rita. May you be blessed in all you do in the future. Sometimes we need to just take a new look at things. Always good to be proactive in our choices. Life is too short.

God bless,

Coleen Franks
Ukraine

RitaJC said...

Thank you so much, Coleen!

It didn't take long, and I was back into splashing paints around. :)